Thursday 14 June 2007

Prelude!

Why did we invent things and continue to automate a lot of things? Very simple - to have a easy life and enjoy life to max. Has this statement got anything to do with Agile development - yes!

Hardware & Software were one such inventions to make life simple and easy; but as a matter of fact those inventions have complicated life and all the software pros are fighting daily to sort it out. I have been in the software industry just over a decade and i am certainly not a master to question or bash anyone or anything; even if i became a master, i wouldn't want to. The intention of this blog is to highlight some of the common problems the software world faces today and how these so-called agile development is taking us into a fragile tomorrow.

When i started my life as a developer, i saw some unnecessary tasks as part of software development or to put it this way, the so called technical leads (except the first tech manager - he was the one who opened my think tank!) overlooked loads of things and that led to produce below-par software modules - so i said to myself ah, i will become a tech-lead and change this world!

Then i briefly took over leadership (yeah i actually had to lead myself many times - no body made me a lead and most software companies that was the case - at least from what i heard from my co-mates) and i realised that there are other things beyond my control such as ever-changing customer requirements, poor design, no future-proofing etc. These were beyond my reach. The technical architects were of a different view compared to mine(only one architect who saw the world in a diff angle that had similarities to mine - btw i am not a purist). - so i said to myself aha, i shall become an architect and change the world!

Then i became an architect. Now worthless business contracts and other business issues, pre-sales negotiations, etc etc came into conflicts and these were affecting the whole project heavily. - so i said to myself aha, what if i become a service delivery head who could negotiate contracts, sort out some of the key learning's i have had in my journey.

I have not jumped onto the next level, but that's around the corner.

In my next set of articles i would like to pose some fundamental questions and go through some of the key software models (jargons) and then discuss my views. These views are mine and do not reflect the view of either the current or ex-organisations. - Hello World! Feel free to challenge and that way it will be a mutual learning.
Next Article a Background to software development

No comments: